Is it Bad to Leave My Windows Open in Spring?
Posted on March 31st, 2022 by Devine Bros
Finally, the days are getting longer, and the weather is warmer — it’s time to enjoy it to the fullest! Opening your windows in the spring is a great way to appreciate the season. It also helps keep your home cooler and less stuffy during this time of year. However, you may be wondering if it’s bad to leave your windows open in spring. In short, there are benefits to leaving them ajar, but it does come with some risks that you should consider before doing so.
Drawbacks of Opening Your Windows in Spring
It’s understandable to be worried about leaving your windows open for long periods, and there are some downsides to letting spring into your home:
- Some may say that leaving your windows ajar in spring will make your house more susceptible to drafts and cause you to spend money on utilities.
- Many people are hesitant because they are afraid of inviting unwanted guests into their homes, like bugs or pollen.
- If there’s any moisture on outside surfaces or inside of walls and ceilings, it can increase mold growth in these areas if you don’t close your windows in time during a spring rainstorm.
- Some homeowners worry about their homes being vulnerable to burglars.
It’s up to you and what you’re most comfortable with. But, most often, if your window has a screen for extra protection, these drawbacks can be greatly reduced.
Benefits of Opening Your Windows in Spring
That fresh, warm spring air is such a great feeling after months of chill and darkness. In turn, we have some benefits to consider about opening up your windows during spring:
- Opening your windows lets you experience all of the new smells and sounds of a warmer season, making homes feel more welcoming.
- Opening your windows provides ventilation that makes it easier to have a constant supply of fresh air for those who suffer from allergies or asthma.
- It’ll help freshen up stale air or odors inside with fresh air outside.
- It helps increase circulation, so you won’t have to worry about turning on your AC ASAP.
In most cases, leaving your windows open during spring won’t be harmful as long as you have screens or close them at night. And, once your AC is up and running, be sure to try and keep your windows closed so that the cool air doesn’t escape your home.
Helping Norwalk homeowners improve their lives is something Devine Brothers has been providing to their customers for over 100 years! If you’re interested in learning more about our service or need supplies, make sure to get in contact with us today! For more tips & tricks, make sure to like us on Facebook.