Spring is Here, and Allergies Will Soon Follow
Posted on March 22nd, 2017 by Devine Bros
Spring is in the air – or is that just pollen?
While spring is generally welcomed with open arms, the 50 million Americans who suffer from seasonal allergies may not be as receptive. Luckily, there are ways to minimize your symptoms without barricading yourself in your home.
Here’s a few tips to help keep your allergies under control this season:
- Start taking your allergy medication now, so it is working at full strength by the time peak allergy season comes around.
- Dust, vacuum, and mop your home regularly.
- Wash your bed sheets every week in hot water. Consider using a hypoallergenic cover on your mattress and pillows.
- Bathe your pets twice a month, and don’t let them sleep in your bed.
- Take off your shoes when you enter your home and leave them at the door.
- Keep windows closed when the pollen count is high. Use the air conditioner at home and in the car.
- Find and remove any mold or mildew in your home.
- Change your air filters in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Have your air ducts professionally cleaned. They could be harboring dust, pollen, pet dander, mold, and other allergens.
- Keep your humidity levels under 50% to kill dust mites.
- Invest in a HEPA filter to remove airborne particles from your home.
Poor indoor air quality can worsen your allergies, and even lead to health problems down the road. How clean is the air in your home? If you live in Fairfield County CT, call Devine Bros. at (203) 866-4421 to schedule an air quality consultation.