Outdoor Patio Dos and Don’ts
Posted on April 29th, 2022 by Devine Bros
Finally, spring is here, and summer isn’t too far! We can’t wait for warmer and longer days — the perfect environment for spending time in your yard. And the best spot for this is a backyard patio! If you’re looking to upgrade your patio or install a brand new one, it can be hard to know where to start.
There are so many things that go into designing and building an outdoor space, so we put together this list of dos and don’ts for outdoor patios.
- Don’t use dark colors on an outdoor patio unless they are natural, like slate or brick. Light colors reflect more light and create a brighter space that feels airier.
- Avoid mismatching your material with the rest of your yard/home. Whether you choose brick or stone, it should look like it fits in with the rest of your humble abode’s aesthetic!
- Don’t forget to address any drainage issues before installation.
- Try not to forget your limits. Before purchasing any materials or making any design decisions, it’s important to know what type of terrain you have available.
- Keep in mind that some cities have stricter laws than others on what can be done with outdoor spaces. It’s best to check with your local municipality before getting started and ensure they’ll allow for what you want to do.
- Keep it small: An overly large patio can make your home look too big or unwelcoming, so be sure that it’s sized appropriately for the space available.
- Consider installing an outdoor kitchen if you plan on spending time outside often with friends and family!
- Make sure there is ample lighting at night by using electric lights, candles, or string lights
- Choose materials that are durable, low maintenance, easy to clean, and resistant to harsh weather conditions.
- Use brick or stone pavers on your patio. Brick or stone pavers are durable, timeless, and very easy to maintain. Plus, they provide great traction for those summertime barbecues!
Helping Norwalk homeowners improve their lives is something Devine Brothers has been providing to their customers for over 100 years! If you’re interested in learning more about our service or need supplies, make sure to get in contact with us today! For more tips & tricks, make sure to like us on Facebook.