Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

Posted on December 10th, 2015 by Devine Bros


With the heating season coming up, it is important to stay safe. According to the Center for Disease Control, carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for more than 500 deaths and 4,000 hospitalizations every year.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that happens to be odorless and colorless, making it impossible to detect without specialized electronic sensors. Carbon monoxide is emitted by everyday products such as automobiles, stoves, and your heating system. We are exposed to low levels of carbon monoxide on a daily basis, but it can become fatal at higher doses.

Use these tips to stay safe this winter and protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Install Detectors in Your Home

As previously mentioned, electronic sensors exist to detect high levels of carbon monoxide. Many of these devices also double as smoke detectors. Install these throughout your home, making sure to have at least one on every floor, especially near the kitchen, furnace room, and bedrooms.

Have Your Furnace Inspected Annually

As your heating system burns fuel (whether it be oil or natural gas), it produces carbon monoxide. Have a certified technician inspect your furnace every year to make sure that this gas is properly being vented to the outside of the home. In addition to peace of mind, an annual tune up can also help lower your energy bills and extend the lifespan of your heating equipment.

Clear Your Car Tailpipe of Snow

Carbon monoxide is produced by your car, and released through the tailpipe. During the wintertime, your tailpipe could be covered in snow, slush, or ice. When this happens, it forces the gas to instead release to the car’s interior. Make sure your tailpipe is completely clear of obstructions before turning on your vehicle.

Know the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide may be called “the silent killer”, but there are symptoms associated with overexposure to it. The first symptoms you will experience include dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and headache. Higher levels of the gas will lead to confusion, vomiting, and lack of consciousness before ultimately becoming fatal.

If you are looking for a licensed professional to inspect the heating system in your Norwalk home, look no further than Devine Bros. For almost 100 years, we have provided Fairfield County with a variety of services to help keep them warm, such as oil delivery, new furnace installation, and heating system repairs and tune ups. Visit our website for more information, or give us a call at (203) 866-4421.

Previous Post: | Next Post: